The concept of loyalty has always been an important aspect of my life. Between loyalty to family and friends but to all loved ones. But what exactly does it mean to be loyal? I suppose it depends upon how you would look at it. There is a sense that someone is loyal or faithful to a partner which is separate from being faithful to a friend. For a partner or significant other loyalty is expected yet is to be cherished as if a privilege. There are also two different ways to be loyal to someone you love or care for emotionally and physically. Physically is among the easiest to control one's loyalty to the other and only those who are weak give in to these temptations. Emotionally is much different and takes much longer to hurt your partner. You see to be emotionally loyal to a partner means to me at least to be honest, to speak with conviction, and to selfless in thinking.
As far as being loyal to friends, I have found myself surrounded by it, It's not about just taking sides anymore in fights like we did in high school. Loyalty or allegiance for each other runs deeper. When we face tougher inner struggles and harsher external environments we look to our friends to stand by us loving every moment of who we are regardless of what we are doing.
But when is being loyal a bad thing? I have found in myself at least that it has come back to bite me. My loyalty runs so deep it is devotion in many cases. As I've said though before I'd rather live the way I do and dive into each emotion, interaction, and experience I have open heartedly than guarded. Some people may see this as naivete towards life and people but to me I'm free. What I have learned though is that not everyone deserves the chances I am willing to give. Loyalty isn't something that should be given. I thank the person who I know will be reading this for teaching me that fact. I hope to give my devotion and heart to someone who deserves it soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment